Friday, December 10, 2010

Cover Comparison: Uglies Series by Scott Westerfeld

I am a huge fan of the Uglies series by Scott Westerfeld. I think they were the first dystopian books I ever read. The books are being re-released in hardback on May 3, 2011 with updated cover art. (Click images to enlarge.)






I LOVE the new cover art (left-hand side). I think the sterile quality really captures the eerie superficiality of the Uglies world. I'm not quite sure I get the new cover for Extras though -- the iris is AWESOME, but the crazy makeup? It's been a while since I read the book, but...that's not how the main character looks in my head. Plus, Extras is about a world in which popularity is the currency, not appearances, so makeup doesn't really make sense. Other than that, though, I adore the new look!

I reviewed the whole series before I started this blog: Uglies, Pretties, Specials, Extras

Which look do you prefer?

8 comments:

Michael Antonio Araujo said...

As much as I love my regular covers, I'm really digging the new covers. My friend has my books now so I might have to buy new copies. I don't know the new covers seem more out of YA then the old covers, which could be a good thing to attract readers. I'll have to check them out in person though haha. Thanks for updating us! xD

Misty said...

I don't know that I prefer one or the other; I have the originals, and I really do like the design and all the little details. However, usually when covers are changed, I'm a little anti- the new cover, but I do think these are brilliantly done.

Kristy J. said...

Maybe it's just me, but based solely on the covers alone, I prefer the original ones. Especially like Specials and Extras. I haven't read the series though, so I don't know, perhaps the new covers are a better fit for the story.

Kristy @ Dreaming By Day

Aylee said...

I love the new covers! So much so, that even though the books have been on my TBR list forever and I've been dying to read them, I think I'll probably wait until May when I can buy these great covers!

Lori said...

I really like the new covers too! And I agree that the sterile-ness captures the story well! I still like the old ones too! I need to read Extras! =/ I've read all the others!

Mrs. DeRaps said...

Wow. Those new covers are stunning!! Makes me want to go out and buy more copies...Thanks for showing them off.

Small Review said...

It's great that they're being released in HC!

I think I prefer the pictures of the old covers better, but I'm really loving the bright whiteness and the author/title design of the new covers.

Ashley @ Book Labyrinth said...

I don't really like the new covers for Uglies and Pretties that much... they're okay, but not my favourite. The other two are a bit more haunting, and I do like them. I think it's great that they're getting a re-release, though, because I really enjoyed these books, especially the first and last ones.

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails