Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Waiting on Wednesday: So Shelly by Ty Roth

Waiting on Wednesday is a meme hosted by Breaking the Spine to highlight upcoming releases we're anxiously awaiting!

Coming February 8, 2011!


So Shelly by Ty Roth

Until now, high school junior, John Keats, has only tiptoed near the edges of the vortex that is schoolmate and literary prodigy, Gordon Byron. That is, until their mutual friend, Shelly, drowns in a sailing accident.

After stealing Shelly's ashes from her wake at Trinity Catholic High School, the boys set a course for the small Lake Erie island where Shelly's body had washed ashore and to where she wished to be returned. It would be one last "so Shelly" romantic quest. At least that's what they think. As they navigate around the obstacles and resist temptations during their odyssey, Keats and Gordon glue together the shattered pieces of Shelly's and their own pasts while attempting to make sense of her tragic and premature end.


I love that this book features Keats and Byron as characters! Talk about tragic figures! They couldn't be more perfect for such a haunting story. I also can't wait to see how Roth modernizes them for a high school setting. There's something about this synopsis that reminds me of gothic works like Rebecca and Jane Eyre (both of which I love), so I think that's part of what draws me to it. It's very mysterious and dark and tragic, but I've seen interviews with the author that suggest it's also a very funny novel. I'm very interested to see how Ty Roth walks that line. This sounds like a very original work for the modern YA market - no paranormal or romantic elements, and yet very misty and poetic. Plus, isn't the cover gorgeous? All the 2011 debuts have amazing covers! I love it!

What upcoming release are you eagerly awaiting this week?


Description from Goodreads. Click the hyperlinked title to preorder.

20 comments:

June G said...

Oooh. This is a very fresh and different pick. I appreciate it. It will be going on my TBR list for sure! Awesome.

The Crooked Bookshelf said...

interesting book choice.. love the cover..

Kai @ Amaterasureads said...

I'm very intrigued with this book, and I have to agree that the cover is awesome. A bit freaky and mysterious at the same time, don't you think?

Check out our WoW picks for this week!

BLHmistress said...

This one is very intriguing , great choice

MYWOW

elodie2310 said...

Nice cover, thanks I love discovering new books and since I love John Keats, I'm going to add this book to my to buy list =)

Jan von Harz said...

I am anxious for this one too. I love that it is told from a male POV too. Great pick!

Rachel said...

That does sound interesting, great pick :)

Rachel @ Fictional Fantasy xxx

Niecole said...

I've heard of this one before and I'm hearing only good things about it, I might have to ad it to my list hehe

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog said...

i love the characters too!! very interesting concept!! happy thanksgiving!!

Miss Page-Turner said...

I think I'm not going to read this novel, although it does sound interesting somehow...it sounds sad, too.
Here is my WoW

And don't forget to check out my 100 follower giveaway to win a copy of Perfect Chemistry. Open internationally, ends Nov 30th. Just click...here !

Alison said...

Keats, Byron, and Shelly. Hmm...I wonder what the author is going to do with this.

Cynthia said...

I think I'll be adding this one to my list, it does sound very mysterious. I love the cover too! Great pick! =)

LLM said...

This sounds interesting. I'll have to look for it.

Pixie said...

Sounds like this one is going to an enjoyable read. I am adding it to my list. Thanks

~Pixie
Our WoW

Small Review said...

I love the way you described this one. I have it on my TBR. I love the cover.

Here's my WoW

Lindsi said...

This book is on my list too! 2011 is going to kill my pockets :)

The cover for this one looks so haunting and mysterious! I can't wait for it to be released. Awesome choice!

Read Now Sleep Later said...

Great preview! I'll have to add this to the ol' TBR. I'm awaiting Unearthly by Cynthia Hand, which I have already read but would love to own a hard copy of. (Thanks for commenting on RNSL btw!)

Peep said...

I'm pretty sure I am out of the loop because I don't get what this book is about. Is it a sequel?

Sugarbeat said...

I love the look of this book! I agree with you - great cover! My list is at http://www.sugarbeatsbooks.com/ It's more Christmas-y as I'm involved in a Christmas reading challenge.

danya said...

Oooh this one looks pretty dark...and the cover works well for it!

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails