Saturday, November 27, 2010

In My Mailbox: November 22 - 28, 2010

In My Mailbox is a weekly meme hosted by The Story Siren.


For Review


Lost Voices by Sarah Porter

Coming July 4, 2011!

What happens to the girls nobody sees—the ones who are ignored, mistreated, hidden away? The girls nobody hears when they cry for help? Fourteen-year-old Luce is one of those lost girls. After her father vanishes in a storm at sea, she is stuck in a grim, gray Alaskan fishing village with her alcoholic uncle. When her uncle crosses an unspeakable line, Luce reaches the depths of despair. Abandoned on the cliffs near her home, she expects to die when she tumbles to the icy, churning waves below. Instead, she undergoes an astonishing transformation and becomes a mermaid.

A tribe of mermaids finds Luce and welcomes her in—all of them, like her, lost girls who surrendered their humanity in the darkest moments of their lives. The mermaids are beautiful, free, and ageless, and Luce is thrilled with her new life until she discovers the catch: they feel an uncontrollable desire to drown seafarers, using their enchanted voices to lure ships into the rocks.

Luce’s own talent at singing captures the attention of the tribe’s queen, the fierce and elegant Catarina, and Luce soon finds herself pressured to join in committing mass murder. Luce’s struggle to retain her inner humanity puts her at odds with her friends; even worse, Catarina seems to regard Luce as a potential rival. But the appearance of a devious new mermaid brings a real threat to Catarina’s leadership and endangers the very existence of the tribe. Can Luce find the courage to challenge the newcomer, even at the risk of becoming rejected and alone once again?

Lost Voices is a captivating and wildly original tale about finding a voice, the healing power of friendship, and the strength it takes to forgive.


The Vespertine by Saundra Mitchell

Coming March 7, 2011!

It’s the summer of 1889, and Amelia van den Broek is new to Baltimore and eager to take in all the pleasures the city has to offer. But her gaiety is interrupted by disturbing, dreamlike visions she has only at sunset—visions that offer glimpses of the future. Soon, friends and strangers alike call on Amelia to hear her prophecies. However, a forbidden romance with Nathaniel, an artist, threatens the new life Amelia is building in Baltimore. This enigmatic young man is keeping secrets of his own—still, Amelia finds herself irrepressibly drawn to him.

When one of her darkest visions comes to pass, Amelia’s world is thrown into chaos. And those around her begin to wonder if she’s not the seer of dark portents, but the cause.


Cryer's Cross by Lisa McMann

Coming February 8, 2011!

The community of Cryer’s Cross, Montana (population 212) is distraught when high school freshman Tiffany disappears without a trace. Already off-balance due to her OCD, 16-year-old Kendall is freaked out seeing Tiffany’s empty desk in the one-room school house, but somehow life goes on... until Kendall's boyfriend Nico also disappears, and also without a trace. Now the town is in a panic. Alone in her depression and with her OCD at an all-time high, Kendall notices something that connects Nico and Tiffany: they both sat at the same desk. She knows it's crazy, but Kendall finds herself drawn to the desk, dreaming of Nico and wondering if maybe she, too, will disappear...and whether that would be so bad. Then she begins receiving graffiti messages on the desk from someone who can only be Nico. Can he possibly be alive somewhere? Where is he? And how can Kendall help him? The only person who believes her is Jacian, the new guy she finds irritating...and attractive. As Kendall and Jacian grow closer, Kendall digs deeper into Nico's mysterious disappearance only to stumble upon some ugly—and deadly—local history. Kendall is about to find out just how far the townspeople will go to keep their secrets buried.


Thanks to NetGalley, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, and Simon & Schuster!

I really enjoyed the Wake series by Lisa McMann, so I'll be interested to see what Cryer's Cross is like - it sounds kind of scary! I also think Lost Voices sounds like a very sad and powerful story, and The Vespertine is right up my alley - Victorian Age magic!

What's in your mailbox this week?


Descriptions from Goodreads. Click the hyperlinked titles to preorder.

19 comments:

elodie2310 said...

Awesome books for you this week .. I love the cover of The Vespertines, can't wait to have it =)
Happy reading ... ;)

danya said...

Oooh once again you have books I want to read! :P

BLHmistress said...

Oh you got some good books , wanting to read Cryer's Cross.

I have an award for you too :)

Versatile Award

elodie2310 said...

By the way, here's my In my mailbox : onceuponaquote.blogspot.com
=)

Eleni @ La Femme Readers said...

I love Netgalley. :) I look forward to your reviews hun!

Uniquely Moi Books said...

Fantastic books this week! I'm a new follower too, maybe you'll follow back? Have a great week and happy reading!

Kai @ Amaterasureads said...

I also got Lost Voices and The Vespertine this week. I got Cryer's Cross last week but I haven't got around reading any of these three, very interested to know what you think of these books. :)

Here's what I got in my mailbox this week!

Shannon the BookStalker said...

I'm a new follower and I desperately want all the books you got this week. :) Enjoy them!

Small Review said...

Nice books! Such beautiful covers on The Vespertine and the mermaid book. Looking forward to your reviews.

nikkibrandyberry said...

Great books this week! Lost Voices sounds really very good! I need to check it out! Happy Reading! My IMM is here: http://nikkibrandyberry.wordpress.com/2010/11/27/in-my-mailbox-kinda-9/

GREYZ said...

Hey Casey.Great books this week. I love the cover of Lost Voices and The Vespertine. :) Mine are at Clandestine Sanctuary. Have a great week!

J-9 said...

Hi Casey,

I know that I am a new follower of your website, but I would like to give you the Versatile Blogger Award. As I have been going through your website and you have reviewed everything here, there and everything in between. You can get your award here (http://j9books.blogspot.com/2010/11/versatile-blogger-award.html)

Cheers!!!!

Gabrielle Carolina said...

Happy reading!

If you want to know what I got in my mailbox this week, check out my blog here-

http://themodpodgebookshelf.blogspot.com/2010/11/imm-13-deb-week.html

And don’t forget to enter my book-a-week giveaway!

http://themodpodgebookshelf.blogspot.com/2010/11/second-hand-saturday-3.html

Blessings,

Gabrielle

Ashley said...

Wow, great IMM! Have fun reading!

Have you seen my 2011 YA Reading Challenge? You should sign up!

http://whatsyourstorybookreviews.blogspot.com/2010/11/350-page-books-2011-challenge.html

Marie said...

Great new reads!

I got Cryer's Cross for review too. It looks scary :( I liked Wake, it didn't really creep me out. But still, the cover gets me!

Emma Michaels said...

Yeay! I love IMM. My to-reads list is growing by leaps and bounds today!!! Hope you will stop by mine!

Sincerely,
Emma Michaels
http://EmmaMichaels.Blogspot.com

vampgirlx90 said...

casey,

totally just started The Vespertine today. So fantastic so far. Hope you're doing well! Still anxious for those books to come in the mail from you :) Dying to read Paranormalcy.

-Heather

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

Lost Voices is a beautiful cover and sounds really great. :) Hope you enjoy it and all the books. Have a great week!

BookGeek said...

Wow, I am really excited about these books!

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails