Friday, November 5, 2010

Review: Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins

Sophie Mercer is not your typical teenage girl. She's a witch. And - after an unfortunate incident at a school dance results in an indoor car crash, the near-exposure of the magical world, and mass hysteria - the powers-that-be decide it's time for Sophie to have full-time magical supervision. That's how Sophie finds herself moving into Hex Hall, a ramshackle house in the Middle of Nowhere, Georgia, alongside her fellow troublesome teen witches, faeries, shapeshifters and a vampire - also known as the Prodigium. But even though Hex Hall is supposed to teach Sophie how to control her powers and stay out of trouble, the school has a few problems of its own - like a mysterious predator attacking its students and an international league of assassins determined to annihilate the entire Prodigium race. Welcome to Hex Hall.


Hex Hall is a funny, enchanting read that seamlessly blends humor with mystery and foreboding. Rachel Hawkins' narration is playful and comfortable, making the reader feel at home and creating a quirky voice for her supernatural heroine. Sophie has spunk; she's both strong and sensitive -- a realistic blend that makes her compelling and easily relatable. The young witch experiences many of the same trials as a typical teenage girl, as well as those unique to Hex Hall - monstrous teachers, bloodthirsty roommates, nasty dark witches, stalkerish ghosts and international assassins. This novel brims with witty one-liners, dazing twists, and chilling dangers.

Beneath the mystical veneer, there is profound undercurrent that questions prejudices, loyalties and choices, adding depth to the story. The inhabitants of Hex Hall are an intriguing blend of light and dark, each struggling to come to terms with themselves and their fate. Nothing is what it seems; Hawkins creates a whole cast of complex characters that jump vividly off the page -- readers may even find themselves fond of the darker characters, against their better judgment. The blending of fantasy with history is an interesting and enjoyable aspect of the novel, naturally referencing the Salem Witch Trials, but also featuring the inimitable poet Lord Byron in a surprising yet oddly plausible way. This is an enthralling read that will have readers screaming at the book in more tense moments, and staring incredulously at the page in others.  Hex Hall is truly gripping from beginning to end -- full of surprises, action, adventure and, of course, romance.

Rating: 


Click here to purchase Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins




This novel is part of the 2010 Debut Author Challenge




17 comments:

Miss Page-Turner said...

Funny, enchanting, a little myterious- Just like I imagine it, I really need to get my hands on this book. Thanks for your review:)

danya said...

If you enjoyed Hex Hall, I think you will definitely like Paranormalcy...hope you get it soon!

Lou Rohde said...

I've had this book on my TBR list for some time now. Sounds like I may have to move it up.

SusanKMann said...

I loved this books. It was one of my faves at the early part of the year. x

Diana said...

I really want to moving into Hex Hall. Book has everything!!! Great review.

Small Review said...

Wonderful review! I couldn't agree with you more, especially when you said the book will have you screaming and staring incredulously. :P I can't wait for the next book. It sounds like it's going to be even better than the first!

Lynsy said...

I've looked at this one for a while now, and I really want to read it.

JellyBear7 said...

I cannot think of why I haven't read this book yet! Excellent, detailed review! I really want to read this book

Karen Senoo said...

Wow this book really seems great! I didn't have the chance to read it yet, but it got everything I like in a novel. Humor, mystery and a little bit of magic are all it needs to take my attention :)

@Tibiux

Lexie said...

I own this book and can't wait to read it! I like when the cast of characters is confined to one place and interacts with only the others in that place. Makes it easier to follow!

Vivien said...

This was a cute novel. Not as cute as Paranormalcy was for me though. I am excited to read Demonglass though.

Moirae(thefates) book reviews said...

I LOVE this book!! Have you read Demonglass yet? That was AWESOME!! Can't wait for book 3!

Lane

Casey (The Bookish Type) said...

No I haven't! I'm dyiiiing for March 1 to get here!

Anne said...

I completely agree with you on your review. This book was amazing! It's kind of like an updated Rebel Angels series (Libba Bray) which I loved so I was kind of predisposed to like this one. I'm so excited to get my hands on Demonglass!

barmybex said...

Love this book, can't wait to get my hands on book 2. great review :D

Syki said...

This book was actually funny :) And Archer is kind of hot :D I am looking forward to read Demonglass!

krazzyme said...

I want to read this books so bad.gret review :D

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails