Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Waiting on Wednesday: Wither by Lauren DeStefano

Waiting on Wednesday is a meme hosted by Breaking the Spine to highlight upcoming releases we're anxiously awaiting!

Coming March 22, 2011!


Wither by Lauren DeStefano

The first book in an exciting new series by first-time author Lauren DeStefano.

At age sixteen, Rhine Ellery has four years to live. Thanks to a botched effort to create a perfect race, all females live to be twenty, and males live to age twenty-five. While geneticists seek a miracle antidote, orphans roam the streets and polygamy abounds. After Rhine is kidnapped and sold as a bride, she is desperate to escape from her husband’s strange world, which includes a sinister father-in-law in search of the antidote and a slew of sister wives who are not to be trusted. On the cusp of her seventeenth birthday, Rhine attempts to flee—but what she finds is a society spiraling into anarchy.


My thoughts: First of all, isn't that cover intriguing? She looks like some kind of desolate faery. It makes me want to know her story. As to the synopsis - this book sounds like it's jam-packed with social commentary, which I totally dig. I'm really getting into the dystopian future genre, especially since it all seems increasingly plausible. I thank (blame?) The Hunger Games and The Giver. It seems like Wither is really thoughtful as well - pulling on history (an attempt to create the perfect race? Ring any horrifying bells?) and - shocker of shockers - an experiment gone terribly wrong? The idea of knowing exactly when you're going to die also provokes some seriously philosophical questions. I have a question though - if males live to 25, how does she have a father-in-law? She's married at 16, and I would assume her husband would be about that age...which would make her father-in-law how old when he had his son? 10? Wither sounds chilling, in a completely non-paranormal way, which is a nice change of pace. Just the synopsis of this novel has my mind spinning, so I cannot wait to read the real deal!



Description from Goodreads. Click the hyperlinked title to preorder.

7 comments:

danya said...

Love the cover of this one too! I also really enjoy dystopian YA (The Hunger Games and The Giver are both fabulous, and have you read the Uglies series?) and the genre seems to be exploding right now with so many creative story premises. It's awesome!

Casey (The Bookish Type) said...

OMG I LOVED Uglies!!!! Even the weird 4th one that really had nothing to do with the first three LOL

lisa :) said...

I had heard of this title but didn't really know much about it. I, too, really enjoy dystopia as a genre - of course, the father-in-law detail would probably drive me crazy. I tend to get really hung up on inconsistencies. Maybe the boy's mother remarried someone half her age? ;)

Rebecca Herman said...

It's actually not an inconsistancy according to someone who read the book, I'm linking in case someone wishes to avoid the spoiler:

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/115662234

Casey (The Bookish Type) said...

I like that explanation, Lisa! =)

Rebecca, I never said it was an inconsistency. I haven't read the book, but based on the synopsis I am confused as to how that would work. However, I'm perfectly content to wait, read the book, and find out.

Thank you for linking instead of posting a spoiler.

Rebecca Herman said...

oh, sorry, I was replying to Lisa who was worried she might not like the book if it was an inconsistancy.

Casey (The Bookish Type) said...

Ohh gotcha! =)

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails