Friday, October 15, 2010

Review: Personal Demons by Lisa Desrochers (Fall Into Fantasy)

Frannie Cavanaugh isn't the swooning type, especially not over dangerously seductive bad boys. However, when Luc Cain strolls into her English class, Frannie's usual levelheadedness flies out the window - which is exactly the effect Luc was going for. Luc is a demon, sent from Hell by King Lucifer himself to scour the earth for one special soul. Luc doesn't know why this soul is so important to his master, but his infallible intuition tells him that Frannie is his mark. Now all he has to do is lead Frannie into temptation - usually an easy task for the smoldering demon - and tag her soul for Hell. Luckily for Frannie (and unfortunately for Luc), the celestials aren't far behind, and the angel Gabriel arrives on the scene to save Frannie's endangered soul. To Luc's surprise, however, the celestial contingent turns out to be the least of his worries. Heaven and Hell want Frannie's soul, no matter the cost, and the outcome of the cosmic battle could be catastrophic for them all.

Personal Demons is a darkly seductive fantasy that will capture readers' imaginations from the very beginning. The alternating points-of-view between Luc and Frannie keep the narrative fresh and engaging, though the omission of Gabe's perspective make the triangle feel a bit imbalanced at first. However, over the course of the novel, Gabe comes into his own and becomes as mysterious and alluring as Luc. The boys certainly demand attention, but Frannie is the true star of the show with her distinct and believable voice, air of mystery, and deeply troubled past - not to mention awe-inspiring Judo skills that are a brilliant addition to a paranormal heroine's repertoire. Yet, after becoming so invested in the angel and demon, her perpetual indecision became a little frustrating. This tends to be the case with most love triangles, but honestly there is no wrong choice in this tense and highly-charged novel. Be warned: the teenage hormones do occasionally rage out-of-control. Lisa Desrochers cranks up the heat and the tantalizing suspense will keep readers on the edge of their seats.

The striking sensory descriptions that pervade the story - and especially the scents representing everything from emotions and souls to Hell itself - will pull readers headfirst into this vividly detailed world. The world-building in Hell is incredible, and the intriguing mythology is something I would like to see elaborated. Personal Demons challenges expectations: it may seem obvious which side to choose, but Luc makes Hell look pretty good...and Heaven has quite a few issues of its own. The banter between Luc and Gabe is comical and cute - in a deadly sort of way - and Luc's wry sense of humor and increasing exasperation offer timely comic relief to the emotionally-fraught tale of angst and desire. Personal Demons is a gripping and entertaining novel that readers absolutely will not be able to put down.

Rating: 


Click here to order Personal Demons by Lisa Desrochers

Disclosure: I received an ARC of this novel as part of Book It Forward ARC Tours. This did not affect my review in any way.







October 30: Don't miss my author interview with Lisa Desrochers!







This novel is part of the 2010 Debut Author Challenge and the Fall Into Fantasy blog event!




14 comments:

Lori said...

Every time I read a review on this I want to read it a little bit more!!

lisa :) said...

This sounds pretty interesting and I like how you noted that it challenges expectations. I'm realizing more and more how much I value unpredictability in novels so it's nice when authors can surprise me a little. Looking forward to your author interview!

Ali said...

ooh, this is the first time I've heard of this title... just added to my kindle, thanks :)

♫♥LovLivLife Reviews♥♫ said...

Great review!!=) I agree!=)

Stella (Ex Libris) said...

I've been following Lisa's blog this past year and was waiting impatiently for the release of Personal Demons. The premise sounds exciting, and thanks for the great review, now I'm even more eager to read it! :-)

Tanya1224 said...

This sounds like a darker Twilight because of the threesome going on. That's not bad since I loved Twilight. An angel and a Demon, what's not to like. Thanks for the review.

Diana said...

When I read the story I did not found very interesting but your review made me change my mind.

Mary Ellen said...

I had read some other reviews of this book but didn't know that there was a judo angle. Can't wait to read it!
methom@earthlink.net

Lexie said...

I have picked this book up a hundred times trying to decide if I want to buy it. You have convinced me! I love the whole concept of this story. And love triangles make books so much more interesting! I wonder why the author didn't put Gabe's perspective in the book, though?

Vivien said...

I've been hearing mixed feelings about this one. It's also just sitting on my shelf...sigh..

Nora said...

This books sounds really good! I've been really wanting to read it for a while! :]

Syki said...

I found this book long time ago but didn't read it. After this review I am thinking about reading it soon :D

Emilie said...

I would love to read this one, I heard so many things about this one !

danya said...

LOL, the teenage hormones certainly do rage out of control in this one! I have to say I found Frannie's wishy-washiness (in terms of the love triangle) very frustrating. But I'm with you on the sensory descriptions — I loved the way scents were connected to emotions for Luc!

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails