Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Waiting on Wednesday: Jane by April Lindner

Waiting on Wednesday is a meme hosted by Breaking the Spine to highlight upcoming releases we're anxiously awaiting!


Coming October 11, 2010!


Jane by April Lindner

Forced to drop out of an esteemed East Coast college after the sudden death of her parents, Jane Moore takes a nanny job at Thornfield Park, the estate of Nico Rathburn, an iconic rock star on the brink of a huge comeback. Practical and independent, Jane reluctantly becomes entranced by her magnetic and brooding employer, and finds herself in the midst of a forbidden romance. But there's a mystery at Thornfield, and Jane's much-envied relationship with Nico is tested by a torturous secret from his past.

Part irresistible romance and part darkly engrossing mystery, this contemporary retelling of the beloved classic Jane Eyre promises to enchant a new generation of readers.



My thoughts: I don't generally go for spin-offs or sequels of classics - especially not ones I love as much as Jane Eyre - but it might be different when the story is only loosely based on the original (a la "10 Things I Hate About You" and "The Taming of the Shrew"). There's something charming about the idea behind this modern re-imagining, especially if it's done well. The cover is so appropriate to the tone of the original story that I have high hopes that the author appreciates Charlotte Bronte's genius and does her justice. On the other hand, I can't imagine how the original "secret from the past" would play out in this scenario, so I'm hoping for an imaginative curveball there to keep fans of the classic guessing. I'm eager to see if this novel works. Also, I just love that Rochester...er, Nico...is a rock star. 


What upcoming release are you eagerly anticipating this week?




Description from Goodreads. Click the hyperlinked title to preorder.

9 comments:

KM said...

Just got this one in the mail, and I'm SO psyched to read it!!!!

Katie said...

I'm excited, but at the same time a little nervous. I LOVE Jane Eyre

danya said...

I'm always a bit wary of retellings, but I do love Jane Eyre...so I'm kind of torn. Think I'll wait for some reviews before picking it up!

Joy said...

Looks and sounds pretty hauting.
have a great week!
Joy at Books and Life

Lori said...

This is the first I have seen this particular book. I hope you get your book and that you enjoy it. Check out what I am Waiting on Wednesday for.

TheBookGirl said...

I too don't usually go in for re-tellings, but this one sounds like it might really be good. Hope you enjoy it :)

Heather said...

I do love a good mystery, and this one looks a little sad too :( I'll have to check it out!

Check mine out here:
http://littlesqueed.blogspot.com/2010/09/waiting-on-wednesday_15.html

New follower here :)

Casey (The Bookish Type) said...

Hey everyone! Thanks so much for stopping by! It sounds like we're all on the same page about this one. Hopefully it will pleasantly surprise us =)

Natalie (Mindful Musings) said...

I LOVE Jane Eyre, so I might have to check this one out! :D

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails