Thursday, September 9, 2010

Waiting on Wednesday: The Iron Witch by Karen Mahoney

Waiting on Wednesday is a meme hosted by Breaking the Spine to highlight upcoming releases we're anxiously awaiting!

This week's WoW is on a Thursday because of yesterday's scheduled guest post.


Coming February 1, 2011!


The Iron Witch (Ironbridge Chronicles #1) by Karen Mahoney

Freak. That's what her classmates call seventeen-year-old Donna Underwood. When she was seven, a horrific fey attack killed her father and drove her mother mad. Donna's own nearly fatal injuries from the assault were fixed by magic—the iron tattoos branding her hands and arms. The child of alchemists, Donna feels cursed by the magical heritage that destroyed her parents and any chance she had for a normal life. The only thing that keeps her sane and grounded is her relationship with her best friend, Navin Sharma.

When the darkest outcasts of Faerie—the vicious wood elves—abduct Navin, Donna finally has to accept her role in the centuries old war between the humans and the fey. Assisted by Xan, a gorgeous half-fey dropout with secrets of his own, Donna races to save her friend—even if it means betraying everything her parents and the alchemist community fought to the death to protect.


My thoughts: I've recently been inducted into the world of the fey (courtesy of Julie Kagawa's The Iron King) and now I simply cannot get enough. I love how this novel combines the fey with the alchemists. I don't know a lot about the lore yet, but I don't think the two are usually associated (please correct me if I'm wrong). It also sounds like the humans are aware that the fey exist, which is different - usually the magical beings (whether they be wizards, vampires, weres or [insert other popular creature here]) tend to keep their otherworld separate from the mass of humanity. I don't know how humans could fight a faerie, but I'm intrigued to find out. Finally, the major selling point here is that Donna's best friend is captured (who I can only assume is a guy. Because this is paranormal YA.) and it's Donna who has to ride in on her white horse to save him. Thank you, Karen Mahoney, for not having your heroine play the damsel-in-distress card [insert chorus of hallelujahs].


What upcoming read are you waiting on this week?




*Synopsis from Goodreads. Click the hyperlinked title to preorder.

6 comments:

lisa :) said...

This sounds really interesting. Like you mentioned, the combination of alchemy and fey mythology seems really unique!

Stephanie :) (Books Are A Girl's Best Friend) said...

Thanks for stopping by my WOW and following my blog :)
I haven't really tried this genre before but I've heard of The Iron King and I've read a historical book recently with alchemy in the plot so it's tempting me....

Im following you too now, you have some really interesting posts!

Natalie (Mindful Musings) said...

This one looks really good! Like you, I loved The Iron King! And I love this cover. It's gorgeous!

Karen Mahoney said...

Hi there!

First of all, let me just reassure you that I promise not to stick my nose in every time The Iron Witch is mentioned. LOL! I really wont... (*resists temptation*). Heh.

Seriously though, I had to comment. I see a lot of people WoWing The Iron Witch - which is awesome - but I love how thoughtful you are about it. Thank you so much! Also, I wanted to say a bit thanks for picking up the fact that Donna is a strong female character. I worked hard for that, as I'm tired of there simply not being enough in paranormal YA at the moment.

And yes, Donna's best friend is a guy called Navin Sharma. They really ARE best friends, too. I'm not hugely into love triangles, so I'm trying to resist going down that route. ;)

Oh! And finally, yes you're right. Alchemy and the fey are not traditionally related, although there is an interesting loophole of sorts I found in my research. I used that to 'twist' things to work for the story. Ah, the joys of being an author and creating worlds...

Cheers,
Karen

Mrs. Q: Book Addict said...

I recently read The Iron King and it was my first Fey novel. This book sounds really interesting as well.

Casey (The Bookish Type) said...

Hi Karen!

Thank you so much for stopping by to answer my questions about your book! Behold the beauty of the book blogging community =) It's wonderful to hear an author recognize the lack of and dire need for stronger female characters in the YA repertoire! It's also a relief to hear that we're spared another exhausting love triangle (really, how is a girl to choose?) and get literary proof that guys and girls can, in fact, be JUST friends. I can't wait to see what loophole you've discovered in the lore! This sounds like an amazing book, and your comments have made me even more eager to read it! I wish you all the best for the release! (It's too far away!!!)

And thank you to all the commentators - I'm so glad you guys agree that this sounds like an interesting read!

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails