Friday, August 27, 2010

Book Blogger Hop: August 27 - September 2, 2010

Welcome and thanks for hopping by!

The Book Blogger Hop is a great meme hosted by Crazy-for-Books! The idea is to network and find amazing new blogs to read. You can hop over there to see the rules and join in the fun!


This past week was crazy, so I failed a bit on hopping around. I did find a few new blogs though! Check out these awesome fellow bloggers:

Musings of a Reader Happy
John Smith on Writing
Smash Attack Reads


This week's question is...

Do you use a rating system for your reviews and if so, what is it and why?

I do have a rating system. I break it down into premise, plot, characters and writing, then average them all together to produce an overall rating. Those four categories are what make or break a book for me. The best books are original, with a compelling plot and lively characters - but all that is moot without good writing behind it. If the writing distracts from the story, that's a huge problem. I don't think I could assign an overall rating without first evaluating how I felt about those aspects of the story.


On the blog this week:
Review: Infinite Days by Rebecca Maizel
Author Interview: Rebecca Maizel


Thanks for hopping by! Head over to Crazy-for-Books to sign up and see all the participating blogs!

8 comments:

Black Disaster Fairy said...

Hopping on through and saying hello. I tried to break it down but sometimes I just can't pin point what turns me off on a book, because it is usually a combo of things.

Happy Reading

Black Disaster Fairy

wickedsexybooks.blogspot.com
literarydaydreams.blogspot.com

Ava said...

Hi! Stopping by from the hop and I'm a new follower. I agree that I try to analyze the things I do and don't like about a book in order to rate it, but sometimes I can't pin down exactly how I felt about a certain part of the book, so I just give it an overall rating.

Have a fantastic weekend and stop by my blog if you have time!

Ava
http://avacypher-bookinfinity.blogspot.com/

Kelly McDermott-Bay said...

Just hopping by to say, hi.
Kelly Bookend Diaries
http://bookenddiaries.blogspot.com

Lu said...

Hopping in from the hop to say have a great Weekend!

Already a follower :)

When you have a moment come have a look at my new Giveaway :)

Lu
http://lusbookblog.blogspot.com/

danya said...

I sometimes break down my review into sections (characters, plot, writing style, etc.) but I've never tried giving a rating to each specific area. Not sure if it would help making the overall rating decision easier or more difficult, but sounds like it works for you!

LMW said...

Ha Ha! How have I managed to not follow you before now Casey after you reviewed my books and everything?! Well I am now!! Hope you are doing good! :)
Smiles!
http://thedelusionaldiaries.blogspot.com

Susan said...

Wow, your system is so thorough. Very impressive. Mine's a simple ABCDF format. It's sometimes hard to "grade" a book, but I still like the system.

BTW, I found you through the Hop. I'll be coming back often!

The Bookish Type said...

Hey everyone! Thanks so much for hopping by! I really appreciate it =) I'll definitely be jumping back over to your sites!

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails