Thursday, August 26, 2010

Author Interview: Rebecca Maizel



Rebecca Maizel graduated from Boston University and the Rhode Island College master’s program. She teaches community college in Rhode Island and is studying to receive her MFA from Vermont College.

From Author's Website


 

How did your interest in writing develop?

I think I was always writing. I know that seems like a stock answer but it's not. As a kid, I loved writing stories and making up characters. I loved making movies on my sister's video camera (when video cameras were VIDEO - yep, I'm old). I think I was always creating in a narrative form. 


Infinite Days has some really wonderful turns of phrase. Which quote is your favorite?

Hmmm. Well, I feel silly saying I just LOVE this bit of writing, etc. But if I have to choose one from Infinite Days it's this:

"At Wickham, Tony was my only companion. His friendship kept me company as well as all the memories of my vampire life, piling on and on in my mind like a stack of books, each memory a leather binding, reaching higher and higher toward an endless ceiling."  


What was your biggest challenge in writing this novel?

Writing the sequel!!! :) No, really it is. And letting go of the inner editor. Sometimes, you have to say to yourself that the work is enough - that the process is enough and you turn off the inner censor and just WRITE.


Do other magical beings besides vampires exist in the Infinite Days world?

Yes. Thematically, it's only been relevant for you to see vampires as they are the crux of Lenah's problem. But yes, other creatures. You'll see... 


We learn that Lenah does not like The Awakening by Kate Chopin. What are some of her favorite books? What are Rhode’s?

Lenah's favorite books! I LOVE this question. She loves Jane Austen - particularly Pride and Prejudice. She loves Les Liaisons Dangereuses - or Dangerous Liasions because she really appreciates the Marquise de Merteuil - the evil heroine of the book. Rhode appreciates philosophy and science. He reads John Locke, Rousseau and Voltaire. He's really not into fiction. Astronomy, plant life, philosophy. Lenah also appreciates Shakespeare and books on medicinal healing. Rhode's favorite poet is John Keats.


Each of the main male characters is very different, but appealing in their own way. Which would you choose to be your romantic interest – Rhode, Justin, Vicken or Tony? Why?

If I was looking for a crazy time - Justin. I know he would have me do things I was scared to do but I would have a great time doing them. He would take me bungee jumping or for some exotic meal. And he's pretty to look at.

If you want to fall in love for the rest of your life? Rhode.


Intent affects several of the novel’s events. What inspired your interest in intentions?

Morality in general interests me. If you really think about people's intentions and consider why it is they behave the way they do - it'll fascinate you. I have my own feelings on humanity and morality and I chose to explore them in a fictional place. I won't get on my soap box here. :)


Part of Lenah’s journey involves rediscovering her humanity. What do you think it means to be human?

To appreciate all that is around you. Life is hard - enjoy the small things. 


If you were a vampire waking up from a 100-year hibernation, what would be the hardest thing to adjust to about the 21st century?

Probably how loud it is! Everything now has sound - hard sound too. Cars, sirens, even typing creates a constant sound. I can't imagine how much quieter life was in the 1900s.


This is the first vampire world I’ve seen where it’s possible to become human again. Can you explain how the magic of the vampire world makes it possible?

They'll have to read the book...:) 


Which century was Lenah’s favorite? Why?

17th century before she truly started to lose her mind. In my vampire world, the longer you are a vampire, the more your mind starts to wane. Most vampires go crazy. 

She was with Rhode living a fantasy. She didn't realize she was slowly going crazy. She loved Rhode and thought she would live with him forever. She didn't mind the murders she committed - the blood lust was enough. Very shortly after...her sanity began to wane...She wasn't as strong as she thought she was. 


What is the one question you’ve always wanted to be asked about Infinite Days? Can you answer that question for us?

People have asked me this before and I never know what question I want to be asked. I know that I want people to enjoy Infinite Days and I hope they can take something positive away from it. :)  


Why do you think the fantasy genre, and especially paranormal romance, is so popular in modern times?

Oh boy, that's a tough question. I think people want the escape. Life, mortality, violence all of it is in our face 24/7 and it's nice to dive into a fantasy world and forget it all. Maybe I'm reaching here but I think that has to do with it. 


What authors have inspired you? What about them is inspirational?

Alice Hoffman is a big inspiration to me. She has an incredible way of making the ordinary extraordinary with a turn of phrase. She's incredible. I also love Amy Hempel but her fiction is more for adults. She can break your heart with just a few words. She's one of my favorites.  


What is a random fact readers probably don’t know about you?

I like pineapple on my pizza. No ham, no green peppers. Just cheese and pineapples. Random, eh? Oh, and I used to be a radio DJ. 


What can you tell us about the remaining books in the Vampire Queen trilogy?

You'll learn a lot more about Lenah and Rhode's past the farther you get into the trilogy. :)


For more information about this debut author, please visit:

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Many thanks to Rebecca Maizel for this great interview! I'm so glad to hear that we'll learn more about Rhode's past in later books! There's just something about Rhode... ;-)


1 comments:

lisa :) said...

Such a great review - I love the questions you come up with! This made me want to read Infinite Days even more!

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails