Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Waiting on Wednesday: May 26, 2010

I've decided to do my first ever Waiting on Wednesday post because there are several upcoming June releases that have caught my eye!

Waiting on Wednesday is a meme hosted by Breaking the Spine to highlight upcoming releases we're anxiously awaiting!


I'm sure the first book has been on many people's radar for a while, but as Monsters in May comes to a close, I feel it's only right to highlight the upcoming release of a new Twilight novella: The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner. 

COMING JUNE 5, 2010


Fans of The Twilight Saga will be enthralled by this riveting story of Bree Tanner, a character first introduced in Eclipse, and the newborn vampire world she inhabits. In another irresistible combination of danger, mystery, and romance, Stephenie Meyer tells the devastating story of Bree and the newborn army as they prepare to close in on Bella Swan and the Cullens, following their encounter to its unforgettable conclusion.







I know many people are wondering what on earth Stephenie Meyer is thinking - why isn't she finishing the gospel of the Twilight fandom, Midnight Sun, instead of telling the story of a character so minor that we didn't know her last name until this book was announced? Well, while I would probably die from glee if Stephenie answered our prayers and desperate pleas and finished Midnight Sun (Please, Steph? Please?), I'm still ecstatic about this new installment! I've missed that world, and the experience of reading the series for the first time (re-reading them an inordinate number of times is fun, but it's never quite the same as the first time around. Sigh.) Plus, from Bree's point-of-view, we'll get to see a lot more of the action! From Bella's sheltered perspective, we miss A LOT.

Two other great things about this novella are:
1. It will be FREE to read online from noon on June 7th until July 5th, 2010!
2. "One dollar of each book purchased in the US from the first printing will be donated to the American Red Cross for their relief efforts in Haiti and Chile and other parts of the world where people are in great need. We're going to have an option online as well, so you can choose to make a donation if you want when you read the story online." (From stepheniemeyer.com)

How amazing is that?


COMING JUNE 1, 2010


Meghan Chase used to be an ordinary girl...until she discovered that she is really a faery princess. After escaping from the clutches of the deadly Iron fey, Meghan must follow through on her promise to return to the equally dangerous Winter Court with her forbidden love, Prince Ash. But first, Meghan has one request: that they visit Puck--Meghan's best friend and servant of her father, King Oberon--who was gravely injured defending Meghan from the Iron Fey.

Yet Meghan and Ash's detour does not go unnoticed. They have caught the attention of an ancient, powerful hunter--a foe that even Ash may not be able to defeat....


This Iron Fey series novella is set between The Iron King and The Iron Daughter and will be FREE for download on June 1, 2010! Many of you know that I have been absolutely DYING to read The Iron King from the moment I first heard about it. It FINALLY came in the mail yesterday, and I'm using all of my willpower to save it for this weekend and finish my current read before devouring it. I'm convinced I'm going to love it and, as a result, am already psyched for this novella! Isn't the cover gorgeous? Wow.

You can read an excerpt here.


And, finally, a NON-novella....

COMING JUNE 8, 2010

From www.megcabot.com:

Get Smart. Get Sexy. Get Staked.

A modern sequel to Bram Stoker's Dracula.

There's a killer loose in Manhattan. He's leaving young women drained of all their blood. Some are starting to whisper he may not even be human...

Meena Harper is a dialogue writer for Insatiable, the highest rated soap on television...at least until LustInsatiable's main competitor—launches its new vampire romance storyline.

Now Lust is breaking every daytime rating on record, and all Meena hears from her bosses is: Give the female leads of Insatiable hot vampire love interests.

But Meena's tired of the monster misogyny rampant in the entertainment business, and refuses. Too bad this causes her to lose the promotion she's always wanted.

Work is the least of Meena's worries, however: her brother Jon has lost his high paying investment banking job and joined the ranks of the city's numerous unemployed...just like the husband of Meena's best friend Leisha, who happens to be seven months pregnant and is giving Meena — who has a special psychic gift — anxious twinges. Meena's always kept hidden the fact that she knows how everyone she meets is going to die...so what does that mean about Leisha?

And what's Meena supposed to do about her neighbor, "the Contessa," who wants to set Meena up with her cousin Lucien, visiting from Romania for reasons as mysterious as he is?

But when vampire-mania works itself to a fever pitch in Manhattan, fueled by the dueling plotlines on Lust and Insatiable, as well as the city's mounting deaths, Meena is astounded to discover that the creatures she's always despised as the sexist stuff of fantasy might actually be real...

...and that thanks to her "gift", Meena herself could be in danger of turning into one...unless a vigilante band of vampire slayers, one of whom has shown up at her door and is holding her hostage, can put a stop to it.

But does Meena, drawn as she finds herself to Lucien—who might just be the Prince of Darkness himself—really want them to?

Yes, more vampires - but, in my opinion, I think this sounds like a different kind of vampire novel. I really love the line: "But Meena's tired of the monster misogyny rampant in the entertainment business..." There are way too many damsels in distress running around in the supernatural world these days and I think Insatiable promises to be an intriguing commentary on the issue. Plus, Meena's "psychic twinge" could get very interesting...


So what about you? What upcoming releases have you pacing the floors?

7 comments:

LilyofDarkness said...

I can't wait for July to get "Undead and Unfinished" by Mary Janice Davidson - but that is forever from now. I have already pre-ordered my Bree Turner.

Violet said...

Love all your choices! I loved The Iron King and can't wait to read Winter's Passage! Insatiable also looks excellent too, and I agree with your comments regarding Midnight Sun.

My WoW is Nightshade.

Erika said...

i love all your picks :) congrats on your first WoW post! :D

Leanna (Daisy Chain Book Reviews) said...

Great picks! I'll be reading Bree Tanner for sure!

Robin K said...

Bree Tanner is definitely on my to be read list.

lisa :) said...

I'm intrigued by the Bree Tanner novella as well. I think the fact that Meyer showed in Midnight Sun how good she is at telling a story from a new perspective makes me want to read Bree Tanner more.

And most of the books I've been waiting for came out in the past few weeks so now I'm just pacing myself to not blow my budget and buy them all at once. ;) I'm also a George R. R. Martin fan though, and he's in the middle of a series that has fans not-so-patiently waiting for him to finish his next book so who knows when the publication date on *that* will be...

The Bookish Type said...

Thank you all for stopping by! I'm glad others are as excited for Bree Tanner as I am!! =)

@LilyofDarkness - I hadn't heard of the Undead series before, but I just looked it up and it sounds really interesting! I'll have to check it out! Thanks for sharing!

@Violet - Just finished The Iron King & loved it too! Perfect timing since Winter's Passage came out today! I checked out your WoW and it looks amazing! The cover kind of reminds me of The Iron King's too =)

@lisa :) - I totally agree! Midnight Sun showed that she really knew all of her characters inside and out. I daresay that after people real Bree Tanner, they won't think of her as such an insignificant character anymore. Ahh I hate it when a bunch of exciting books come out at once! Willpower! ;-) Are you talking about A Song of Ice and Fire? I hadn't heard of that one before, but I just looked Martin up on Goodreads and it sounds like an interesting series! I can see why you're eagerly awaiting the next book!

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails