Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Shadow of the Sun by Laura Kreitzer


Gabriella Moretti is not typical by any standard. A brilliant scientist who graduated with her Ph.D. from Yale at the incredibly young age of 19, Gabriella is introverted and academic. However, the most unusual thing about the young Einstein is her job. Gabriella is a paranormal scientist, investigating all things weird to determine whether they are fact or fiction. So far, everything she has examined turned out to be nothing more than overactive imaginations run amok, but all that changes the day she receives a shipment of three ancient corpses dug up in Italy. Even though the bodies date from 100 B.C., they look as fresh as daisies when Gabriella opens their ancient caskets. Already unnerved, she reaches a state of utter bewilderment and alarm when one of the bodies’ skin regenerates immediately after she retrieves a sample. Of course, the ever-meddling FBI step in and fly Gabriella and the bizarre bodies to Washington D.C. for more closely-supervised examination. Their intervention has its perks, though - Gabriella immediately connects with the warm and charming Agent Joseph Carter, but he soon finds that he already has some surprising competition. When disaster strikes en route, the mystery of the unearthly bodies and the inexplicable draw they hold for Gabriella multiplies exponentially. Gabriella is forced to embark on a harrowing journey of heartbreak, hope and personal revelation unlike anything she could have possibly imagined.

Laura Kreitzer is a debut novelist with immense potential. In Shadow of the Sun, Kreitzer spins an enthralling tale of supernatural suspense. Her varied cast of characters are charming, and her heroine is strong and relatable – readers will feel like they’ve known Gabriella their whole lives. Her intelligence and dry wit are entertaining and her unusual career is intriguing. As the enigma of the un-aging bodies develops, readers will find themselves caught up in fast-paced adventure, equal parts mystery and action. This novel does not waste time on tedious details, but jumps straight into the story without losing any essential background information. While the author's writing style is still developing, it is the imaginative storyline that predominates in Shadow of the Sun. There is something for everyone in this supernatural story – action, adventure, mystery, and romance (Team Andrew!). Kreitzer sets up an exciting love triangle amongst Gabriella and her two dashing heroes - Joseph and Andrew - each of whom brings something unique to the table. However, the strong-willed, independent, brilliant and powerful heroine is the biggest draw - a  refreshing sight and a joy to read. Readers will find themselves anxiously awaiting Soul Stalker, the next installment in The Timeless Series, with bated breath.

Rating:
Premise: 4.5/5
Plot: 4.5/5
Characters: 4.5/5
Writing: 3.5/5
Setting: 3.5/5
Overall: 4.1/5


Read an excerpt of Shadow of the Sun here. 

Purchase a signed copy of this novel here.

*Disclosure: I received a complimentary review copy of this novel from the author. This did not affect my review in any way. You can read my complete review policy here.

Exciting Update!

The author, Laura Kreitzer, has kindly agreed to do an interview with The Bookish Type! Please submit any reader questions you would like me to include in the interview via email by midnight EST on May 22.

13 comments:

Dr. Bill (William L.) Smith said...

Quite a cover!

Bill ;-)

Hope you'll check out my book giveaway:
http://drbillsbookbazaar.blogspot.com/2010/05/book-giveaway-dead-or-alive.html
Then stop by:
http://thehomeplaceseries.blogspot.com/ Seek Followers, ...

Book-eater Ivan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Book-eater Ivan said...

Sounds interesting.. :)

BTW, just followed you!

you can check my blog if you like, though there is still little to see in it..

http://ieatbook.blogspot.com

Kate Evangelista said...

That's an awesome book cover! I'm mesmerized.

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

I have to say I love the cover. And that is part of what caught my eye, as I didn't know what the book was about. This sounds like a wonderful read! And with being a first novel. Great! I am going to have to keep an eye out for this book.

The Bookish Type said...

The cover is quite eye-catching, isn't it? I didn't understand it at first, but after reading the book, I think it's a perfect fit! I believe Ms. Kreitzer was very pleased with it!

Thank you all for commenting!

@Book-eater Ivan - Thanks for following! I'll definitely check out your blog!

@Melissa - I hope you enjoy it!!

Book-eater Ivan said...

And I would like to agree with most of the comments, really, the cover of this book is definitely amazing!

oh, and good luck on the interview with the author!

lisa :) said...

I love books that combine realistic science (or at least scientists) with paranormal/supernatural stuff. I wasn't really looking for any new series right now, but this definitely sounds like one I'll have to check out!

Lisa said...

*cough* TEAM JOSEPH *cough*
Great review! I also loved the fact that the story started with action! And I'm on board with everyone else: STUNNING COVER!
I'll try to think of some interview questions!!!

Bruna Britti said...

This cover is so nice! Oh, at this moment I'm regreating to live in Brazil, haha. This book certainly will take long time before come here, but who's know? Maybe I can find it in some place when I travel. Hope so. Great review. =)

Dawn Hullender said...

Laura is immensely talented and everyone should read the book. It's simply awesome.

TEAM ANDREW

Melanie said...

Thanks for putting this review on here. I had never heard of this book before but it sounds like something I'd really like. It has an interesting sounding title, too. Now I need to add this to my list of books to buy!

J-9 said...

This sounds really interesting, and I'm always looking for something different. The cover looks fantastic and would be part of the reason I would pick up this book.

I'm now following your site and added your button to mine

Cheers!!!

http://j9books.blogspot.com/

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails