Wednesday, April 21, 2010

2010 Reading Challenges

I absolutely adore "Gilmore Girls" - I've seen the entire series all the way through more times than I can count. Rory Gilmore is literally my TV alter-ego for many reasons, but mostly because she loves to read as much as I do! I've been looking for a comprehensive list of the books mentioned on the show for a long time, so I was ridiculously excited when I heard about the Gilmore Girls Reading Challenge. Of course I had to join!



There are three levels of participation:
Emily: Read 5 books from at least two different categories.
Lorelai: Read 10 books from at least three different categories.
Rory: Read 20 books from at least four different categories.

The challenge runs from January 1, 2010 - December 31, 2010. I'm a little late, but that's not going to stop me from trying for Rory Level!

Here are the books I'm going to read (sadly I must omit the ones I've already read):

Classics:

1. Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens
2. Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
3. Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
4. Candide by Voltaire
5. Roman Holiday by Edith Wharton
6. Lady Chatterley's Lover by D.H. Lawrence
7. Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe

Children's/Young Adult:


8. The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

Modern Classics:

9. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
10. Catch-22 by Joseph Heller
11. Daisy Miller by Henry James
12. Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
13. 1984 by George Orwell
14. The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath
15. Franny and Zooey by J.D. Salinger
16. The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
17. Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf

Non-Fiction:

18. The Miracle Worker by William Gibson
19. On the Road by Jack Kerouac

Other:

20. Atonement by Ian McEwan

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm also obsessed with Jane Austen - I've read all her books, but I will be re-reading them (and reviewing them, of course!) for a class this summer. I've never read any of the spin-offs though, but there are several I want to check out. Thus, the Jane Austen Challenge is a perfect fit!



This one also runs from January 1, 2010 - December 31, 2010.

Levels:
Newbie 2 books by J. Austen, 2 re-writes, prequels, sequels, or spoofs (by other authors)
Lover 4 books by J. Austen, 4 re-writes, prequels, sequels, or spoofs (by other authors)
Fanatic 6+ books by J. Austen, 5+ re-writes, prequels, sequels, or spoofs (by other authors)

I'll be going for the Lover level on this one.

1. Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen
2. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
3. Emma by Jane Austen
4. Persuasion by Jane Austen
5. Mr. Darcy's Diary by Amanda Grange (rewrite) 
6. The Darcy Cousins by Monica Fairview (I guess you'd call it a rewrite, which I just won from Austenesque Reviews!)
7. Mr. Darcy, Vampyre by Amanda Grange (sequel)
8. The Intrigue at Highbury, or Emma's Match by Carrie Bebris (sequel)


If you're a fan of Gilmore Girls or Jane Austen (and why wouldn't you be?!) it's not too late to sign up! Here are the links again:
Gilmore Girls Reading Challenge
Jane Austen Challenge

13 comments:

Alayne said...

I'm too afraid of challenges, but good luck to you! I just posted my review of Day For Night by Frederick Reiken at The Crowded Leaf if you're interested!

Susan Quinn said...

I might have to put Gilmore Girls into the Netflix queue! I think I've seen one ep, but I think it's the kind of show you have to watch from the beginning.

Your challenge is awesome! I would have to be at the Newbie level for sure!

Bethany said...

Oooh! Interesting challenges!

I have The Catcher in the Rye and Perks of Being a Wallflower on my TBR list so will be interesting to see what your reviews are like!

Emily said...

Both of these challenges sound fantastic, and are wonderful ideas!
I'm considering going for the Gilmore Girls challenge ... but I've already taken on a few challenges this year so I don't want to commit to more than I can handle.

Good luck!

The Bookish Type said...

Thank you all! =)

@Susan - I would DEFINITELY recommend putting Gilmore Girls in your Netflix. It is an amazing show - so funny and true-to-life, with these amazing quirky characters! (Ok, I sound like I'm writing a review. I can't help myself - I just love that show too much haha ;-)) You're right, it really is one you need to see in order - things from the past come back up again in later episodes, plus you learn a lot about the characters and their dispositions early on. I hope you enjoy it!! =)

@Bethany - I've heard so many good things about those books, I'm excited to see if they live up to the hype! Maybe we'll end up reading them around the same time =)

@Emily - It's so hard not to sign up for too many challenges! They're are so many fun ones out there! Let me know if you end up signing up for the Gilmore Girls one! It would be fun to compare our thoughts on the books!

Giles said...

I love Gilmore Girls and always happy to hear of others who enjoy it. Thanks for the heads up about the reading challenge. Will definitely check out!

Chelle said...

Gilmore girls, yay! I own all the seasons and even get my husband to watch some with me. =) Thanks for stopping by my blog today and good luck with your Rory Challenge!

vvb32 reads said...

you're reminding me. i need to catchup on the gg dvds. i love the show too. yay, i'm part of the jane austen challenge too. i'll be posting my my emma and werewolves review next week. Happy Blog Hopping Day!

~M.A.CHASE said...

I wish you luck with these contests! Let's just hope that you can finish the Rory Level of this challenge. I'm also a book reader. I actually have a blog that I started fairly recently that reviews books I'm reading. Check it out if you can(: Good Luck with your Challenges!

Hannah S said...

I love Jane Austen!
The only thing is challenges kind of freak me out... :)
Love, Hannah

The Bookish Type said...

Yay! I'm glad to find some many fellow Gilmores =) Thanks for all the encouragement, you guys! I really appreciate it!

@vvb32 - I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for your review! Emma and Werewolves sounds like an intriguing premise!

@M.A.CHASE - I'll definitely check out your blog! Welcome to the blogging world!

@Hannah S - I totally know what you mean...that's why it took me so long to join one. But once I looked at some, they just seemed like so much fun I couldn't resist! Let me know if you ever decide to join one - I'll cheer you on! =)

Thanks for stopping by everyone!

Katie said...

What a fun idea! And why do challenges freak people out? Too much to commit to? Not a lot of the books on the main list were to my taste, but I l-o-v-e the Gilmore Girls, so I might just join at the Emily level :)

Thank you for stopping by Book Love! I just became a follower of yours :) I love your background here! Did you design it yourself?

Miss Page-Turner said...

I just saw this, am not participating, but I can't help laughing:D I love the Gilmore Girls, my favourite TV series so far, rewatched it several times. The Emily, Lorelai and Rory levels are just hilarious.Wow and it has its own blog...

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails